1220 x 1830 Framed in Oak with Black Front#ENTR##ENTR#This amazing old Pepper tree was sourced from Angaston. It stood proudly outside the Old Angaston Police Station. In 1839 the Surveyor General of South Australia sold 28,000 acres at the present site of Angaston for £1 an acre to George Fife Angas. The town took its name from this hugely influential landowner. George Fife Angas deplored drunken and unruly behaviour. He wrote in 1851: ‘There were persons prowling amongst sheep stations and shepherds’ huts in the neighbourhood, who did untold injury in making the shepherds drunk with spirits slyly introduced, but no one had authority to apprehend them’. Angas lobbied the Government for the area’s first police station. He then donated the land and building materials. The complex eventually included stables, courtroom, magistrate’s room, and cells for wrongdoers. The building has nine inch Baltic pine and slab slate floors. The Old Police Station is now a private residence.